Our area of focus through September will be problem solving. So far we've been concentrating on all the strategies for problem solving, but we will transition next week into clearly communicating our thinking. This week students worked through some word problems and math puzzles. Our math puzzles connected to our PYP theme of collaboration and our discussion was not just about strategy, but how the group can help (or hurt) in our thinking process and problems solving.
After brain storming all the possible genres writers use, this week students have been working on generating their own writing topics, building stamina and endurance, and making wise choices that allow us to be successful writers.
We have been taking the time to read 20-30 min each day, but also to focus our thoughts as we read. Students should now be making think notes for their 30 min of reading time at home. These are to help students (and me) identify the thinking they go through as they read a book. This deep thinking can then be applied to other texts we tackle- fiction and non-fiction- throughout the year.
Thank you to everyone who sent letters about your children. Reading them has been so helpful in starting the year.
P.E./Music; Spanish/Library; P.E./Music; Spanish/Technology; Rhythms
- We will be tie-dying Monday. If students are careful, dye will only be on their hands. BUT- it can splash. Students may NOT want to wear shoes or clothing that is super precious- or they may want to bring a shirt they can change into.
- Book Orders in Friday Folders. A great way to get your kids reading reading more!
- August Birthday Lunches: Monday, September 15th
- Geo Club Check Day: September 24th
- Outdoor School forms and information: DUE by September 19th
Here are a few snapshots from writing today. Look how engaged they are!